2019 Annual Conference
AFM is pleased to announce that the 22nd Annual Conference 2019 will be held in Chicago on 9 – 10th May, 2019 in the Palmer House Hilton.
Had the innovative merchants who established the rice futures trading market in Japan in 1710 witnessed the birth of the Chicago Board of Trade 1848 surely they would have agreed that the leadership baton was in safe hands. Organized by 82 founding fathers as a grain cash market, CBOT (now part of the CME Group) continued to develop and officially launched futures contracts with delivery and margin standards in 1865, and the rest, as they say, is history.
170 years of organised futures markets which have seen continued evolution from pit to screen, cash to derivatives – the list is endless and ongoing. So what next? Where will the marriage of innovative thinking and technology take us? AFM 2019 will open discussion, debate and reflections by industry players on a wide range of topics that will likely ask as many questions as they answer.
Agenda construction is in progress and the panel topics under consideration include:
- reinventing futures for a new generation perhaps through social media, education and technology;
- the changing landscape and health of the derivatives industry, consolidation, disruptors and technocrats,
- broader global implications following Brexit Day 29th March 2019, this is not just a European issue, regulatory challenge to keep trade flowing;
- the challenges facing start-up futures exchanges;
- the digital economy looking at practical examples of the use of blockchain and the development of digital exchanges, an extension of the 2018 autumn workshop;
- overcoming the challenges of managing HFT in the face of rapid technological advances